Escenic Content Engine has a modular architecture that ensures flexibility and extensibility. The Content Engine forms a stable kernel encapsulating all basic functionality, while more specialized functionality is provided by plug-ins. You only need to install the plug-ins you actually require, and you can enable and disable plug-ins on the fly from the Content Engine's system administration interface.
The plug-ins fall into two main categories:
- Standard plug-ins that are part of standard Escenic package
- Optional plug-ins that must be ordered separately. In general, optional plug-ins are those which provide integration with third-party systems
The standard plug-ins delivered with the Content engine are:
Provides website statistics collection and analytics. The Analysis Engine can be set up to record a wide range of events and actions. This data can then be analyzed to generate reports on web activity, lists of popular articles for inclusion in publications and so on. The Analysis Engine includes an API for the creation of custom reports and integration with external systems.
Provides a web interface for moderating user-generated content, such as blog posts, article comments, pictures and videos and for managing user access rights, stop words, tags and so on.
Provides a framework for adding forum management functionality to the Content Engine. The Forum plug-in supports a wide range of forum types and features:
- Independent discussion forums
- Article comments
- Both flat and threaded forums discussion structures
- Moderated and unmoderated forums (for moderated forums, the Dashboard plug-in is required as well)
- Pre-moderation (postings must be approved before publishing) and post-moderation (postings are published but can be withdrawn)
- Indexed/searchable forum content
- Pingback support
Adds easy-to-use geocoding functionality to Escenic Content Engine installations. It allows geographical location records (geotags) to be associated with content items.
With the Geocode plug-in, journalists and editors working in Content Studio are able to easily add geotags to a content item, which are then stored along with the content item in the Content Engine database. Once these tags are stored with content items, they can subsequently be used in a variety of ways:
- To search for items in Content Studio by location: either address (city, state, country) or coordinates
- To plot locations on maps
- To create user services that search for news by location
The Geocode plug-in requires access to a map provider such as Google Maps or an OpenStreetMap provider, and has built-in support for both of these providers. You can add support for other map providers via an extension API if required.
Enables notes discussions about a content item to follow it through the editorial process and be visible to the editorial staff working on the item. The plug-in
- Lets users add notes and comments to content
- Notifies users when notes have been added
- Displays notes alongside the content in Content Studio
- Stores notes with content items so that they form part of its editorial history
Allows content creators to easily add polls (consisting of a question and a set of alternative answers) to Escenic publications.
Generates sitemaps for Escenic sites. Sitemaps are XML files containing links to everything you want to be indexed by search engines. They provide an efficient means of directing search engines to the important content on your site.
If required, the Sitemap plug-in can be configured to include Google News and Google Video extension elements in sitemaps.
The following additional plug-ins are also available:
The Semantic plug-ins
Tagging services search submitted content for references to various subjects and return tags associated with the subject references they find. The tags returned by both cXense and Saplo are weighted for relevance.
Both of the semantic plug-ins enable the Content Engine to:
- Submit content items to Saplo for analysis and tagging
- Map the returned Saplo tags to corresponding Escenic tags if they exist, or else create new tags
- Convert Saplo tag relevance weightings to Escenic tag relevance values
The Saplo Semantic plug-in also submits changes made to the tags back to Saplo. Saplo uses this feedback to customize its behavior, allowing you to improve the quality of the tagging over time.
Enables two-way integration between Content Studio and CCI Newsgate. It allows:
- Content Studio to be launched from CCI Newsgate
- A story created in CCI Newsgate to be opened in Escenic Content Studio.
- Changes made in Content Studio to be copied back to CCI Newsgate (including changes to a content item's related images, media and content items)
- Web previews of Newsgate story folders
- Exchange of content and meta data between Escenic Content Engine and CCI
Provides an interface to the newsroom component of a Vizrt broadcast system. The plug-in supports both iNEWS and ENPS newsroom systems running as part of a Vizrt broadcast system. It allows news items created in the newsroom system to be automatically imported into the Content Engine. As stories are saved in the newsroom, they automatically appear as content items in associated Escenic publications along with all their associated text, video and graphic components.
The plug-in lets you predefine:
- Which stories are to be transferred to the Content Engine
- Which Escenic content types are to be used for newsroom stories
- Which publication(s) newsroom stories are to appear in
- Which section of a publication newsroom stories are to be added to
- Which status (draft, published, etc.) newsroom stories are to be assigned when they are transferred to the Content Engine
- Which inbox and which lists newsroom stories are to be added to
The Video plug-in extends Content Studio with the functionality required to efficiently manage web site media content. It offers:
- User-friendly video editing capabilities in Escenic Content Studio
- The ability to add “cue points” to a video, so viewers can jump directly to specific points
- Transcoding provided by Amazon Elastic Transcoder
- Optional distribution of published video items via Amazon Cloudfront (a high speed content delivery network)
- Advertising support - pre-, mid-, post-roll and overlay (depending on video player used)
- Cloud storage of video content in Amazon S3
The Video plug-in is intended to be used as a component of the Escenic Video Cloud - a managed service provided by Escenic that includes rental, configuration, operation and maintenance of all the Amazon services required to provide a turnkey video publishing solution.